Friday, January 16, 2015

A Factor Every Dividend Investor Should Take Into Account

My self and many others focus on portfolio allocation to reduce risk. For us that dividend plays an important role in our investment strategy, there is another diversification aspect to take into account, namely how big part of the passive income each holding in the portfolio accounts for.

Why then is it important to keep track of how much each company contributes to the dividend income? The short answer is to reduce risk.
Whether one, like most of us, reinvest acquired dividends or rely on them cover living cost, the size of passive dividend income is key. If a company that accounts for a large portion of the passive income gets into trouble and reduces the dividends this has an impact on our ability to reinvest in new companies or to cover our daily expenses.

Below, I have compiled by how many percentages each stock contributes to our total passive dividend income.
Individual stocks precentage of passiv income
When looking at the picture, it becomes clear that there are mainly five companies that stand out - Bonheur, Industrivärden, Mekonomen, BHP Billiton and Fortum. Together they represent about 63% of my total passive income from dividends on a annual basis. A dividend cut from any of these four companies would have a pretty big impact on the size of the passive income.

One of my goals is to diversify the dividend stream so that I'm not as reliant on individual stocks and I'm confident that as time passes the dividend stream will become more diversified.
For those who are interested, you can find my passive income distribution as well as the size of our passive income from dividends in the main menu item: Passive Income.

Have a nice day!

5 comments :

  1. I track this personally in my portfolio as well...although I havent shared it on my blog. Those are pretty big portions of your portfolio that are coming from a handful of companies. Its always a good idea to diversify the income sources.

    Best wishes
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are correct in your observation.
      I'm aiming to become less dependent on individual stocks when it comes to my dividend stream. As I'm expanding my portfolio, I will se to it that the dividend stream will become more diversified. Thanks for stopping buy!

      /Best Regards

      Delete
  2. Good point. I am striving to maintain a 2% allocation to each of my positions. Sometimes that's hard to do when a buying opportunity presents itself to add additional shares at a lower cost (case in point $XOM and $CVX, both recent additions to my portfolio).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it is hard to keep allocation even between holdings in the short term. In the long run however I think the allocation will even out, since buying opportunities will eventually presented themselves in different sectors.

      /Regards

      Delete
  3. Asia Gold: Buyers snap up bargains as price dive revives demand.
    equitytips

    ReplyDelete